Monday, June 05, 2006

Welcome to Son La...

Hey everyone--I am sitting in a small internet cafe in Son La, one of Vietnam's most North-Western cities, surrounded by young Vietnamese playing computer games. Ah, cultural similarities....;) Frustratingly, I can't access tons of normal content, like my ualberta email, or CBC, or even google.ca...so bizzare, cause I could get all of it in Hanoi...is there some strange information restriction that only applies to Son La? Whatever, I was surprised enough to find an internet cafe up in the middle of nowhere. I have completed day 2 of my mountain ride...what an incredible couple of days it has been. I'll give you a brief synopsis...

Day 1: I woke up at 830, determined to make an early start on the journey to Mai Chau, which lays about 150 kms west and slightly south of Hanoi. In spite of the seeming short distance, remember that I was riding a Minsk 125, and so could expect to average at best 40 or 50 km/h through the winding mountain roads. Also, I first had to escape from Hanoi itself, a city whose traffic makes Bangkok's rush hour look like a leisurely sunday drive through the country. After grabbing some supplies, I walked over to the bike rental shop. I was outfitted with my bike, a battered red Minsk, ran over the basic maintenance and refuelling routine with the guy from the shop, and then strapped my pack to the back. The guy from the shop had agreed to lead me to the outskirts of Hanoi and point me in the right direction for Mai Chau (very thoughtful) so I wove through the thousands of scooters that speed through Hanoi like schools of fish, tailing my guide as best I could. By some miracle, we reached highway 6 unscathed, where my guide gave me a wave, a thumbs-up, and took off.

The ride itself to Mai Chau was stunning--it began through townships that exist outside Hanoi, moving into more and more remote territory, until by mid afternoon I was climbing up into my first mountains. At a particularily beautiful lookout point, I stopped for some pics, and was joined by two other Canadians from montreal, who were doing the loop with a guide. At their guide's reccomendation, I followed them to a village near Mai Chau, which was only another 45 minutes away, and secured myself a place to sleep with one of the local families that opens up there house to travellers. Their place was a traditional Vietnamese stilt house, pretty much one big room with bamboo slats on the floor. I enjoyed an incredible meal with my hosts, Ling and Te, and met their two sons--then I spent the night walking around the village, doing a quick ride around the county with the Canadians I met, and reading my book in the stilt house. It all felt very authentic, and I was glad to have been their guest.

This morning I left at about 730 for Son La, some 200 kms away from Mai Chau to the North West. I made really good time, and despite a couple of stops for food, rolled into town at about 1PM. The ride was incredible again--much higher, and a little cooler. Not many others on the rode, leaving me to fly along while listening to some tunes on the old Ipod...a highlight of which was cresting a particularily spectacular pass and having the Beatle's "I've got a feeling" as covered by Beck come on...dave, les, if you read this, you'll know what I mean.

Anyways, i've found myself a place to sleep at at quasi-hotel/guesthouse, and am now exploring the town. I'm not sure if there will be more internet as i continue north, but if so I will send another update. I wish I could check my email, cause I'm sure it's brimming with mail from my friends and family. Am i right? Eh? Am I? Hahaha, love as usual to all.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the fact that I am often your Only Commenter makes it look like I have a worse Internet Procrastination problem than I actually do...you know the rest of the fam is hanging on your every update, but not so much with the comments:)

Your trip through Vietnam sounds like a wonderful adventure- what an interesting way to see more of the country- as long as you continue to be very careful!

Today I officially moved my stuff to our new department offices- we have been relocated to possibly the most remote corner of campus (no coffee or food places!) while our building is being renovated. I love that we haved been moved due to construction, and the new place is only accessible by picking your way through a parking lot full of giant backhoes and earthmovers that seem to be engaged in a strip mining operation of some kind. Oh well- at least the grad room has a mini-fridge:)

Take care LvK

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob,

I feel kind of bad about never commenting, especially after kate pointed that fact out, so I thought I'd drop you a quick line to let you know that we at the boothe household are reading your updates, looking at the photos and enjoying the videos.

Things here are good. Kev's made it through Grad and won a major art award, Mom just got back from a trip to visit Nana and Dad is jetsetting between Ottawa and home, attending meetings on equalization reform. I am not doing much, working 10 or 13 hours a day at Classic (they've taught me the forklift!) and trying my very hardest to have some sort of social life. Mostly I just sleep though.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi and give you a quick update from here. I love you tons and miss you. We're all looking forward to seeing you in a month!

Alllison

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob! Glad to hear that you are enjoying Vietnam, your trip sounds amazing. I am jealous that you are getting to experience the country on your own like that, definitely better than the tours and such that I did.

I hope the crazy Vietnam drivers' enthusiasm for blaring their horns all the time is not rubbing off on you. Oy, it drove me crazy.

And you were right, Laos is wonderful. I love it here! Marta and I are still in Luang Prabang, we went kayaking the first day and to the waterfall yesterday, and are just relaxing today. Oh, and we ran into Rene and her friend yesterday at the waterfall, so we got to hang out with them last night.

Alright, have fun...I can't wait to see your pics. And I better see you back in BKK for the 12th.

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, It is so.... good to hear your news. You are in our thoughts every day, especialy now you are on a bike again!! Speaking of bikes I bought a new one and I expect to get in a lot of riding this summer.Your in our prayers every day.LoveMom

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob - just back from Ottawa -- Eq report now released and Premiers coming to Edmonton tomorrow for another dust up.

Trip sounds great -- be safe!

lv Dad

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob,

Good to see you're making good progress on your motorcycle trip through Vietnam. I just got word from Nat about your infection, and hope it turns out to be nothing. Let the drugs work their course and get back up and riding!!! :-)

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I also setup Romus.ca so you can check that out when you have some free time. I'm gonna put up some old vid and sound clips (like our awesome freestyles from the house) when I get some time. Gotta re-write a final tomorrow so I gotta jet, but get well man and it will be good to see you once again next month!!!!

Cheers,
Min

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob!

I'm so glad your blog allows anonymous posting, since I don't have an account. This is Nick! I've been following your blog since day 1 and felt compelled to write something after the first post by your sister. Your trip sounds fantastic. What a once in a life time experience this must be! I'm happy to see you finding your journey everything you had hoped it would be. Just so you know, I'm living and working in Philadelphia this summer with Katie. Now that I've gotten settled in (and gotten a laptop) it will be easier to keep in touch with all of you.

Take care of yourself,

Nick

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had known about the blog...the fact that I found out about it from my parents says something about you Rob...tsk tsk...

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey rob!
good on ya for keeping the posts up, i have to say i am sooo bad at informing people of my adventures, but enjoy reading yours! It sounds like you are having a lot of fun! When do you return from your trip? Mine is coming to a close, i leave australia on july 4th and get back to edmonton the same day. its cold here, so i'm so excited to be warm again :o)

Safe travels,
~Kaleigh

9:52 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Look at all these comments!! *sniff*....you guys have made me...*sob*...so happy....to the fam, love you guys, to les yeah i might be swinging through! To Nick--sweet man, glad to hear from you and can't wait to get filled in on your stories, to Kaitlyn hahaha guilty laugh the funny thing is i still check out your blog, and to Kaliegh glad your trip is going well safe travels to you too!

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Web Counter