Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Victory is mine part II

Aha! Today I drink from the sweet, sweet cup of victory, my friends! Bring me the finest bagels and muffins in the land! You are now in the presence of...well...reading the post of a man who has the INTERNET at his appartment! It's been a long and bitter fight against the powers of darkness, but at last I have emerged victorious from the fray. Ironically, I am writing this from a computer at school, not at home--hey, it's free here, and I have to pay for my own use in the appartment! But that's beside the point. I decided that the best way to communicate this adventure was to make it analagous to current global events. This may be in terribly poor taste--meh, i don't care so much ;) Allow me, then, to recount the tale of how Rob won Freedom and Democracy (aka the internet) for the People of the World (aka the appartment) against the Axis of Evil (aka the Taliban...err wait, Iraq? Iran? I keep losing track...ok, maybe just the minons of True Internet Company Thailand. Whatever.)

It all began when I moved into my place at Rattanakosin Condos, some 4 weeks ago. I inquired as to whether or not my landlord (who will remain nameless) could provide me with a highspeed connection to the above mentioned "Freedom and Democracy". Wincing, he said "oooohh...that's gonna cost you," (minus the Italian accent). Undettered, I insited upon Freedom and Democracy for the People of the World, no matter the cost. After some haggling, he agreed to check out what the best option would be for acquring F&D.

About two weeks later, Dan (whoops) reported back to me, claiming that F&D could be purchased at the local Tesco supermarket for the low, low price of 2000 baht--this deal would include a router and some prepaid Freedom time. As my Freedom ran out, I could recharge it by purchasing prepaid cards. A neat and handy system, I thought. F&D seemed easy to acchieve, so hopes set high, I instructed Dan to go ahead with the purchase--under his name, to expedite matters. About a week later, he reported back saying he had a package for me to pick up (and also that my rent was due). Sure enough, a well-packaged box of F&D was waiting for me at his appartment.

Overjoyed, I paid the man and rushed back to bring F&D to the People of the World! Only to find that the sneaky Axis of Evil had yet to connect an external line to the People of the World. Frustrated but determined to acchieve that sweet Freedom, i began planning my counter-attack.

Err crap, gotta go to basketball, hey we're the finals tonight, undefeated so far! Um, stay tuned to see whether the People of the World emerge victorious against the Axis of Evil in the fight for Freedom and Democracy!

*cue stiring music...fade to credits....*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob- this made me laugh out loud- I congratulate you on Mission Accomplished and wish you best of luck in maintaining F&D:) By the way, did you see that Dick Cheney accidently shot an elderly Republican hunting buddy in the face with bird shot over the weekend? More serious now that the guy had a minor heart attack, but Jon Stewart's still laughing... I'm writing from my hotel in Ottawa- just as it got sunny in BC, I headed to cold snowy Ontario for a week of interviews. They are going well, though, and I saw Barb and the grandparents in TO, which was fun. Take care and take it esy,
Lv K

2:01 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

If you are reading this and are not posting a least a hello, then shame on you! I want some contact, and a few emails wouldn't hurt either!

*translation*: rob is lonely communicate with him please!

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Web Counter