Friday, March 17, 2006

Back to BKK...or AM I?! ... ... yeah...i am...

What's up friends, I am safely returned to Bangkok after an incredible trip to Koh Tao. I have some new pictures up--click the link on the side (as usual). So...hmmm, what to say about my holiday? Koh Tao, or "Turtle Island" is a small island off the western coast of the Gulf of Thailand, located about 7 hours south of Bangkok, and about 60 km off the main landmass. A combination bus and high-speed catamaran ticket will run you about 700 baht, or just over $20--not too bad, huh? The island is famous for it's diving--it is the cheapest place in the world to get a PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructers) certification. In fact, I enjoyed myself so much while getting my basic open water certification that I decided to do my Advanced open water as well! I am now certified down to 30 meters, and can dive alone (well, with a buddy) whenever I want! Pretty cool, huh?

The dives themselves were wonderful, I logged about 10 different dives over a number of dive sites. Some favourites include the navigation testing dive, where my buddy (Kevin) and I were basically set loose on a dive site after proving we could use a cojmpass, and an INCREDIBLE night dive where we descended to about 16 meters in the dark, using torches to see the coral and marine life, which included everything from angel fish to morray eels to giant schools of barracudas to a few clown fish ie Nemo! This course was one of the most awesome things I have ever done; I highly recommend diving to each and every one of you. Kevin (my friend) got so hooked that he has cancelled his last month of travel in favor of staying in Koh Tao and becomeing a dive master! Crazy, huh? And apparently there is sensational diving off of Vancouver Island--although so cold that you surely have to use a dry suit, which requires special training of it's own. Ah well, projects for another day. Anyways, I had an amazing time but am glad to be "home" here in Bangkok to recover from my holiday...*sigh*...it's a tough life, isn't it? More updates soon, remember to check out the pics and leave me some messages! Or better yet, email! IE Matt or DJ or Chung or Khalid or Les or Ryan or Romus or ANYONE ELSE who SHOULD be keeping in contact with your absent friend/family member. Ok, ryan and romus have each sent an email. Better then the rest of you, but still deplorable. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to my "lonely" corner to sulk.

1 Comments:

Blogger T said...

lonely corner to sulk? i sure hope thats a joke. or a way to get people to write to you. we just had a downpour of snow that invovled cars getting stuck everywhere and snowshovelling of driveways to be backbreaking. sounds like you are having a great time man, enjoy it. take more pics, take care.

tmo

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Web Counter