Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Life in Thailand--tales from the city of angels

Happy Ash Wednesday, everyone! Are we all getting ready for easter? Picked something to give up for lent? I'm a little behind, but i figure i got some time cause back home it's still early on Wednesday ;) I'm sitting here at school, killing some time before I go to mass, so I thought I'd try for a quick update. Yet another weekend in the big city--activities included lots of eatin', lots of exercise (in the form of basketball, weights and swimming), and lots of chilling. I went and checked out the Bangkok International Film Fest this weekend, which was awesome but a little strange. I picked out a Korean film called "The Duelist", which was based on a Korean manga and set in the Josean dynasty. It was a detecive/romance/action/tango film, imagine how difficult it would be to include all of these aspects in one flick--impressive! Anyways, i arrived about an hour before the film started to get my ticket--"So this film has english subtitles, right?"--these my exact words to the ticket girl, who spoke fluent english. "Yes, absolutely."--her reply to me. Confident in my choice, I went to grab some food. Half an hour later, while I'm sitting in the theatre, a man from the festival comes out to introduce the film and give some background. Just before he leaves, he says: "oh and just to make sure you know, this film will have NO english subtitles. And it's in Thai. Allright, enjoy."--leaving me, and the ten or so other foreigners sitting in slack-jawed surprise. Not only no english subtitles, the film had been dubbed into Thai. That ticket girl was lying through her teeth. I decided to stick it out anyways, and ended up loving the film--luckily the dialogue was minimal, so I could get the story from the pictures, but yet another example of "life in Thailand". The story gets stranger. As I am waiting for the elevator after the show, a 6 or 7 year old Thai boy decides to keep me company. As he munches on a bag of popcorn, he sees that I am woefully lacking in the snack department, and kindly offers me some. Now, I don't even like popcorn, but of course out of politeness I have some, and thank him. I chat a little bit with him as the elevator descends, and at the ground floor, he starts to follow me. Having quickly exhausted my knowledge of the Thai language, I look for a translator to ask where his parents are, or if he's ok, or where he's going. After some walking around, a couple of phone calls, and a trip to a roadside food vendor, I finally manage to locate a translator. I find out the boy's parents may be at home, which is a bus ride away. No idea how he got to the theatre or got the popcorn. So i bought him some food, gave him bus money, and left him with a matronly looking Thai woman. My translator shared a tuk-tuk with me to Khao San rd (where i was meeting friends), during which time I found out the boy may have just been bait, to lead me to his gang of older friends who would politely but firmly relieve me of my wallet, valuables and health. Like I said, "life in Thailand".

Anyways, other highlights include going to the awesome guitar bar (Parking Toys) in Kaset Nawamin for some Cat Stevens, Tracy Chapman and Jack Johnson covers, followed by an enthusiastic 7 piece Thai ska band. Also, I ended up going to hear a british soul singer named Simon Webbe, formally of a boy band called Blue? Remember the band competing for the Christmas record sales title against the old dude in "Love Actually"? Yeah, the black dude from that group! Weird. He also sucked, but meh, another experience.

All else is well except my internet at home is broken again, ah well. Send me emails please, or at least a comment or two. Love to my friends and family, and infinite slippery banana peels to my enemies. Hahaha, just kidding. Maybe not infinite.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

man... why you see crazy thai movies, and get jacked by little kids, im writing a paper worth 95% of my neuro mark... and studying for my last final... ever... officially done classes now... 10 weeks of practicum start monday... wish you were here for a celebratory beer... in other news, helping dave move apartments was brutal... you think it would've been easier since it was just a move within the same building...
anyways, off to write my final final exam
take care man
cheers

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob-
We're glad to hear that you unwittingly outwitted the six year old mugger. Sounds liek you're having lots of great adventures. We are not having adventures, we are going to school but we jsut had lunch together and so we thought we'd drop you a quick line to say hi.

In non-adventurous news, the bridesmaid dresses are being sorted out tonight (hopefully with minimum bloodshed- it's all happening in Edmonton) and tomorrow I (Kate) am going to a seminar (and having lunch!) with a Famous Political Scientist. I'm asking him to sign my copy of his new book, and will try not to geek out.

Take care of yourself!
Love you
Ali and Kate

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Trouble! I think I'm finally caught up on your entries. Apparently I was under the mistaken impression you were going there for school...but it doesn't sound like you have time! ;)

I loved the Victory is Mine posts...and so did Joyce & Ted.

When I saw that you were just "killing time before mass" I made a mental note to make sure Joyce reads this one - you can never have too many "Grandma brownie points"! But I think she'd be too freaked out by the potential near-mugging incident. I'll just tell you about mass - 'coz I got your back, brat! :P

Glad to hear you're having a wonderful time. Looking forward to seeing you and hearing the stories in person this summer.

Take care,
B
(aka your FAVOURITE aunt...on the Boothe side, anyway!)

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Web Counter